Friday, March 15, 2019

Designing Asymmetricals for Mercedes

Open the document linked here, and cast your votes for your favorite(s) in the Comments section, or try drawing one.  If you send an image of your creations to me (Chris), I will include them in the file.  
Here is an updated document including 2 new designs from Steve, numbers 22 and 23.

Some of the designs I messed with, like those between Design 9 and 14, are asymmetrical layouts not mirror imaged laterally.  The sailmaker tells me they can probably lay out the asymmetrical colors.     

Here's the link for the web-based drawing tool: https://www.onesails.com/uk/paint-your-spi/

To lay out colors for an asymmetrical spinnaker, select the "Gennaker" radio button.  Three colors is free; more than 3 costs more.  Avoid alternating different colors across the center of the sail for more consistent stretch characteristics.  I could find no way to save the output except capture the window, paste it, and crop it.  The numbering of these designs starts at 3 because I sent two in to Quantum already.

Note that there are a few subtle differences in how Quantum lays out the design of an A-sail, particularly in the second horizontal section down.  But this English OneSails tool is pretty close.  

Here is one of the images...


Don't forget to vote in the Comments below!

7 comments:

  1. The asymmetrical, non-mirror-imaged color block layouts in designs 9 through 14 are unusual for a spinnaker without printing custom graphics, and I am not sure yet whether Quantum can lay out those patterns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope they can. Design 10 is so interesting and cool.

      Delete
  2. I like design 5. I feel it’s colors are balanced and the pattern takes up the whole sail not just a little pattern at the bottom. Just my 2 cents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you're still alive Nate. I hope you can come sail with us this summer. I think we're doing the Hook race and all the other smaller races, Queen's cup, TriState etc.

      Delete
  3. Design #4 was my favorite until I started to think about night sailing. Seeing a dark sail at night can be difficult so I changed my mind to design #10. It has my favorite color, purple, a cool design and a white edge for night trimming.



    ReplyDelete
  4. Wanted to give you an update!... After so much wonderful creative work, and some conferring with the sailmaker, I finally elected for a simpler color scheme that does not mix colors in the two large horizontal sections in the middle of the sail, so that inconsistent stretch and longevity is minimized. It's a compromise weighted for performance over style! Oh well. The final design has large solid blocks of white on top, purple in the middle, and black on the bottom. The sailmaker will add fluorescent trim chevrons on the luff that absorb sunlight and then glow in the dark. A nice benefit for night-time sailing!

    ReplyDelete